Friday, July 27, 2012

The Realist, The Dreamer and Me

Kermit the Frog...who doesn't love that lil' frog? Well, the song he sings called The Rainbow Connection has a catchy melody and leaves me feeling...a bit unsettled along with interweaved glimpses of hope.  I'm kind of a music nerd and love to read about the lyricists and songwriters meaning behind their songs.  Song Facts is the website I usually go to learn more.  This song is about the meaning of life, a spiritual journey and much more..

So I've been thinking about writing a song about my dreams, taking risks (something I don't do very well), etc. ..the title idea is The Realist, The Dreamer and Me.  After having a conversation with my friend and fellow songwriting pal, Daniel, he encouraged me to never compromise doing what I love...music and singing..that's who I've been created to be...the joy it brings to use and develop the gifts God's given me. Sooo... I was reminded of Kermit singing this song...and decided not to recreate the wheel as some ideas of my title fit into The Rainbow Connection song and underlying themes...

The Realist is the voice that says, "Don't pursue your dreams...you need to play it safe."  Others in my life who say the same thing looking through then lens of today...being rational, practical...feeling squashed in that.

The Dreamer is the voice that says, "Step out and take a risk...exercise your faith muscles...and fly baby fly!" (See Great Black Hawk song)

Me- Muddling through the scenerios of what could and could not be. what has and has not been..what steps to take next...what voice is the voice of truth...struggling just like Kermit. 

Feel free to take a listen to Beth and Kermit sing...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdwhMPdhJGM&feature=youtu.be

No comments:

Post a Comment